Garden beds and garden beds look aesthetically pleasing when surrounded by a border. Such original “fences” have a lot of other advantages. So for summer residents, the topic of making fences for garden beds is relevant.
Why is it useful to fence garden beds and clubs
Not all novice gardeners know why it is desirable to enclose the beds. Meanwhile, this technology for growing fruit and vegetable and horticultural crops has advantages:
- Fencing the beds helps to reduce the breeding area for weeds;
- The sides buried in the ground prevent the penetration of pests and the spread of diseases to neighboring beds;
- The fence holds the soil, prevents the fertile layer from being washed out by rains.;
- With the help of a border and organic matter, create a “warm garden” where vegetable crops planted early will develop and ripen faster. And in order to get a crop earlier than on the open ground, you can cover the bed with a fence with a film;
- Borders help to retain moisture inside the beds, as well as keep the paths between them in a dry, clean form;
- The care of the beds formed by means of borders is easier. Lawns between them can be cut with a lawn mower without damaging the crops. The fence will protect the plants from the streamer’s knives;
- It is enough to make a little effort and imagination to turn a summer cottage into a bright garden ornament with the help of hoisting garden fences.
Methods for erecting garden borders
When the benefits of fencing the beds on the site are beyond doubt, the question arises of what and how to make “fences” for them. There are many options for original creativity.
You can go to a specialized store and buy ready-to-install plastic or rubber bumpers. Consumer qualities of products are enviable:
- Durability and reliable service for several years;
- Easy installation and dismantling;
- Versatility: suitable for polygonal and round beds and flower beds;
- Variety of products in height and color scheme.
DIY garden fences
For the fence of the beds, you can use any material available to the summer resident. And each of them has its pros and cons:
- in terms of reliability and strength;
- by the level of complexity of installation and dismantling;
- in physical and material costs.
Stone, as an improvised material, is suitable for arranging borders for beds. So it’s time to collect stones and cobblestones in and around the site.
The least expensive and easiest way to build a stone curb is to lay out the overall cobblestones around the perimeter of the bed with a side. This method is called dry, since no solution is used to fasten the stone elements of the fence. It is necessary to dig a trench 5-8 cm deep, and lay the first row of the fence in it, sprinkling it with mulch or earth, and the next row of cobblestones, suitable in size, is already laid out on top of the sprinkling.
More reliable and durable will be a stone curb laid out using a mortar – the so-called raw masonry method. In this construction, you can use both overall cobblestones and smaller stones. This option is more time consuming, and you will have to spend money on cement and other ingredients to prepare the solution.
On the first layer of the curb, larger stones are selected, which are fastened together with the prepared solution. Then, in a similar way, the curb is lifted up to the desired height, picking up stones according to their dimensions.
You can create multi-colored fences from a special curb stone. Our industry produces a wide range of such products. Equal-sized stone slabs look neater, laying them is not so troublesome and time consuming. But you will have to spend money on the purchase of these plates.
The stone version of the fence has a drawback – the settling of the side into the ground over time under its own weight. Therefore, before erecting a stone fence, the bottom of the trench is covered with gravel or broken bricks to prevent shrinkage.
Tiered beds with mortared stone fences look great and save space on the site.
A bulk decorative fence using stones – a pergon can also be built with your own hands. The foundation for the structure is not required. You will need a metal grill or mesh, clamps (clamps) and tools to assemble the frame of the desired width and height. The cavities between the edges of the finished mesh “formwork” are filled with stone or pebbles.
For arranging garden fences, you can use bricks , left in sufficient quantities after construction. Suitable not only whole products, but also halves.
The easiest way to create a low brick rim is to dry-lay bricks with a slight recess on the edge tightly to each other. It turns out a nice serrated fence.
If desired, you can build a box of future beds with higher sides. For this construction option, bricks will need to be connected to each other by a raw method – in mortar. For such masonry, a foundation is required.
If there are no bricks or stones, but there is a desire to build a reliable fence, then it can be made of concrete. For this design work, you will need a shovel to dig a shallow trench 15-20 cm wide, formwork boards and ingredients to prepare a concrete solution. The procedure is standard: the dimensions of the future fence are marked, preparatory work is carried out for pouring the solution. Next, the solution is poured and leveled with a spatula. When the concrete dries, it is desirable to cover the finished border with a sealant.
If there is no desire to mess with the solution, there is an option to use road curbs for fencing. The range of such products, differing in width, length and height, is quite wide.
It will be quite difficult to dismantle all capital stone, brick and concrete fences, if necessary. If the capital options for fences are not suitable, you can make your own fences from materials of a different quality.
Boards, picket fence, timber, slats, slabs, lining – this is an affordable material for the manufacture of borders for vegetable plantings. Blanks can be easily fastened with screws, nails or glue. Installation of fences, as well as dismantling in case of transfer to another place, is not too laborious.
Also, building fences made of wood has a wide field for fantasies. In addition to the traditional edged board, logs, wickerwork or logs twisted from rods are used. Designs look original and unique.
If there are doubts about the practicality of wood due to its susceptibility to decay and insect pests, then you can increase the life of your own hand-made borders with the help of safe protective impregnations. When choosing material for fencing beds and flower beds, you should pay attention to deciduous trees. Coniferous wood is not recommended due to resinous secretions.
Metal fences for beds
From the point of view of practicality, metal bumpers can be called a good solution. Due to the rigidity of the metal, the fence for the beds is distinguished by the clarity of the given geometric shape. For work it is better to use galvanized metal blanks that are not subject to corrosion.
In specialized stores, you can find ready-made, easily assembled modules for country fences. If you have the skills to work with metal and tools for cutting material, then you can make blanks yourself according to your own sketches from a galvanized sheet of metal or a water pipe. To avoid accidental cuts, the upper edge of home-made blanks must be decorated with handy material, rubber from an old watering hose, for example.
Slate – some time ago was a popular roofing material. Now the era of more interesting roofing solutions is coming. But do not rush to throw away the slate used earlier on the roof of the house. Of the wavy asbestos-cement slabs, you can get original borders for flower beds and beds.
Slate sheets must be cut into blanks of appropriate sizes. It is possible to deepen blanks into pre-prepared trenches in waves across or along, as you like. You can add originality to the slate fence with the help of paints of different color shades.
Plastic for framing beds
Modern durable and practical plastic material is becoming more and more in demand for arranging garden plots. The plastic board has excellent consumer qualities:
- Environmentally friendly;
- Does not deform under the influence of moisture and temperature changes;
- Structures made of this material are easy to assemble and disassemble for installation in another place if necessary;
- The material is unpretentious in care and affordable.
The garden plastic board is not inferior in rigidity to metal and holds the geometry of the garden bed well, preventing the soil from crumbling. Boards of various lengths (up to 3 m) and heights (up to 15 cm) are produced. Especially for ease of installation, the boards are equipped with fasteners or grooves.
Also on sale you can find plastic designers of garden fences, with which you can assemble a border of any geometric shape.
Especially for climbing crops, you can buy a plastic mesh. If desired, it can be used as a bed separator.
For high beds, you can use special WPC panels. Lightweight wood-polymer composite boards have appeared on the market not so long ago, but have already managed to gain fans due to a number of advantages:
- The material is not subject to rotting, rust and mold;
- External resemblance to natural wood;
- Resistant to all weather conditions;
- Excellent structural rigidity;
- Perfectly flat surface is easy to clean;
- The panel is easy to cut into pieces of the desired layouts;
- You can fasten parts using metal corners.
Plastic bottle fences
An interesting and noteworthy way to use plastic containers as material for borders in the beds. You will need a lot of bottles, but collecting them is not such a big problem. It is desirable that the container for future sides be selected of the same volume. Special skills in working with tools are not required, but you will have to be patient.
When the required amount of plastic containers is available, you can begin the painstaking preparatory work:
- Remove paper labels, wash and dry the container;
- Fill each bottle with dry sand or small pebbles and screw on the cap. Sand-filled bottles are blanks for the future border;
- When the building blanks are ready, they can be deepened with the neck down along the pre-marked contour of the bed;
- It is necessary to ensure that the plastic “pegs” rise equally above the ground in height, and there are no gaps or gaps between them.
Bottles should be pre-selected by color. If you wish to build a colored fence from plastic containers, you can pre-paint the bottles from the inside in the desired colors. The coloring process is simple in terms of technology. It is necessary to dilute in white acrylic paint, mixed with the color scheme of the desired color, with water to a liquid state. A little liquid dye is poured into the bottle, the cork is twisted and the container needs to be shaken. Excess dye must be poured out and the painted bottles dried.
Recommendations for arranging beds
Cultivated plants will grow better and bring a good harvest if optimal standards are observed when arranging beds for them. These measures help to reduce the time spent on care: weeding, loosening, watering, protection from pests and diseases.
The regulatory requirements are as follows:
- It is desirable to limit the length of the beds to 4-6 meters. After all, very long sections are inconvenient and tedious to process;
- For a similar reason, experienced gardeners consider 80 – 90 cm to be the optimal width;
- Sides in height are most often recommended at the level of 10-20 cm.
I must say that the microclimate for the growth and development of plants directly depends on the size of the beds and regular care. For fruit and vegetable crops, soil moisture and friability, its acidity and the level of gas exchange, as well as microorganisms living in its upper layer, are important.
Proper arrangement of the beds will provide individual care for the plants of each individual crop. Therefore, it is important to zone the land and divide it into beds using borders. Only this approach will allow the summer resident to get good harvests of vegetables, fruits and berries.
The material for the manufacture of fence beds can be chosen by anyone, taking into account their physical and financial capabilities. For the cultivation of the land allocated for the garden, the following actions are recommended:
- The bottom of the trench dug under the bed must be covered with non-woven material;
- Form a layer of straw or sawdust 8-10 cm thick;
- The next layer of a similar thickness is dry foliage harvested in autumn;
- Another layer is soil mixed with compost in a ratio of 1: 2. The layer thickness is not less than 10 cm;
- The top layer of similar thickness is ordinary earth.
When zoning a plot into beds, it is important to take into account the needs of a particular crop for sunlight, as well as the features of the relief. In open dry areas, trench-type beds (deep) can be equipped. In the flooded lowlands, on the contrary, it is necessary to equip beds raised by 10-15 cm (knoll-beds).
When planting plants on the beds, it is desirable to adhere to the principle of longline plantings. So that tall plants do not obscure the short ones. Deep beds can be used for planting early crops: onions on greens, radishes, cucumbers. Mound beds and boxes are suitable for eggplants, tomatoes, gourds.
The painstaking and thoughtful arrangement of the land plot with the help of fences in the beds, including, as well as competent cultivation, will be rewarded with a good harvest.